A new recommendation, a surprising take on tech layoffs and more
The markets are higher in the early going as Wall Street weighs a better-than-expected jobs report.
The numbers don’t actually matter.
It’s what traders think that the Fed will do about the number that matters. Contrary to what many think, good news may actually be – dare I say it – good news.
What a concept!
Here’s my playbook.
A value investor’s dream
It's issue Friday and you know what that means: the November issue of the One Bar Ahead® journal is being released later today.
On tap this month:
- A new recommendation that may be a value investor’s dream. The company just reported record earnings. What’s more, management expects sales to jump 20% by year-end. What I really like about it, though, is that the company may be perfectly positioned to profit even if the market goes off a cliff and even if the economy tanks.
- 3 Reasons crypto 2.0 could be an actual breakthrough, not just the hype that drove the first go ‘round. No altcoins, ETFs, doge, or even Bitcoin involved! The narrative I imagined a few years ago is now real!
- A significantly beefed up and more detailed portfolio review, including a look at recommendations that have outperformed the S&P 500 by 22%, 15%, and 18% over the past month. There is also one “dog with fleas” that merits a closer look; so, we’ll take a look at what’ll happen if we release it from the portfolio.
- And a jaw-dropping look at Palantir – literally!
We’ve also got an awesome AMA (Ask-Me-Anything) prepared for you. Some of this week’s questions include:
- What trend-following indicators do I recommend for beginners?
- Should income investors still be accumulating [____], given the Fed’s actions?
- What to do if you own AMZN?
- And much more.
If you’re already a member of the One Bar Ahead® Family, expect to see this hit your inbox around 12pm PDT/ 3pm EDT. If you’re not a member yet, there’s still time. Upgrade to paid
An Apple a day will keep anyone away if you throw it hard enough
This might catch you by surprise. Apple’s market cap is now ~$2.4 trillion which means the company is worth more than Meta, Google and Amazon combined. (Read)
Proving once again why savvy investors want to own the best but ignore the rest.
Winter woes already here for 29 million households
Politicians worry about looming fuel shortages. That’s rich considering that most of ‘em live on the taxpayer’s dime and are busy fighting with themselves about why, how and when looming supply shortages will bite.
They’re already here! (Read)
- 23% of households couldn’t pay an energy bill in their entirety this year
- 34% have skipped groceries to settle their utilities
- Americans owe $16B in unpaid utility bills
- It will cost the average family 28% more to heat their home this winter
Thought bubble. If you don’t own energy companies at this point, why not?
A grotesque look at what tech could do to our bodies
People take today’s tech for granted but new research suggests that’s a mistake.
You cannot unsee this … according to scientists at Toll Free Forwarding, our bodies will adapt to include a hunched back, thicker skull but smaller brain, claw hand, and - get this - a second eyelid. (Read)
I see an incredible opportunity. I'm not sure about the second eyelid part, but the inevitable desert first, dinner in a pill mentality will surface. Plastic surgery won’t be a matter of vanity like it is now, but a corrective alteration for things like hunched backs. The roots are being put in place now … robotic surgery, selective gene manipulation and more.
Tech layoffs may have a surprising beneficiary
What’s happening. Tech employees are being laid off in droves. According to various sources, there’s roughly 45,000 people who have been sent packing as of the end of October.
What’s gonna happen. My guess is many make a beeline for LinkedIn to create a name for themselves. Or they’ll wind up working at LinkedIn. Either way …
Guess who owns LinkedIn?
Every investment has risk but not every investment is worth the risk!
Let’s finish the week strong!